2008-10-02

Fujitsu UMPCs

Things are moving to fast, and I do not have time writing.

I have been looking little bit more on computers that does not fit into the UMPC standard. And I got stuck with Fujitsu. Lifebook T5010 looks nice. But I guess that an 2kg laptop is to heavy to hold with one hand and writing with the other. And even if it is 13.3" screen it will only produce 1280x800 in resolution. Slightly smaller, 12.1" screen, and lighter is the Lenovo X200t. Same resolution.

I hope they soon can make higher resolution on a 12.1". Minimum of 1080 lines for HD-movies. Not that I would buy this for watch movies. But when travel, especially with the kids, it would be nice to be able to play something of your own choice.

On the upside of these machines to normal UMPCs is longer battery life and faster. And bigger screen is nice if you working longer times at the computer. There are probably tons of other brands that do the same. But the reason why looked extra at the Fujitsu is that I meet people who say that they always work, never any problem. But I guess you can find both ends on all brands.

Little bit funny is this jkkmobile review of a 5.6" screen Fujitsu.

Also, ubuntu mobile seem to be up to speed. Support of new hardware and specially tweaked GUI for small screens. Looks promising. I'm not sure I really would throw away the default on a Fujitsu/Lenovo if I'm going to use it for work. But it would be nice to use something lighter on a smaller device then Windows Vista.

No comments: